Spouse Visas

StudyEdge > Spouse Visas

Australian immigration department provides a suite of Family Visas in order to bring family members together to Australia. There are different types of visas for family members to get together in Australia.
Spouse Visa, also named as Partner Visa, is a type of visas provided for the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

If the partner is in Australia, then the Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820) will be granted first for the applicant to stay in Australia while the Permanent Partner Visa (subclass801) is processed.

Otherwise, if the partner is offshore, then the partner may need to apply for the Partner (Provisional) Visa (subclass 309), and while he/she arrived to Australia, he/she is able to apply for the Partner (Migrant) Visa (subclass 100).

If you want to apply for these visas, you must be a partner of:

 An Australian citizen
 An Australian permanent resident
 An eligible New Zealand citizen

And the partnership must be one of the mentioned below

Marriage under Australian law

(Note: if you are 16 or 17 years of age, you must have parental permission!)

A de facto relationship for at least 12 months (including the same-sex partnership)

Partner Visa (subclass 820 and subclass 801):

The on-shore partners who meet requirements to apply for the Partner Visa will be granted this visa first. And after, the permanent visa (subclass 801) may be granted to the partner if they meet or the eligibilities for the visa, or if there is a long-term relationship or children of the partnership, the permanent visa might be granted right after the Temporary Visa granting.

Partner (Provisional) Visa (subclass 309) & Partner (Migrant) Visa (subclass 100):

The off-shore partners need to apply for subclass 309 visa first to come to and stay in Australia first, and then, after they have undergone the relationship for 2 years, they can get the permanent visa (subclass 100) granted.

Additional Information:

  • Documents needed for applying
  • Applicant documents.
  • Sponsor (Applicant’s partner) documents.
  • Dependents under 18.
  • 18 or above.

Application Cost

From AUD 7,000

Validation for stay

 Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820) / Partner (Provisional) Visa (subclass 309)
 Validate until the permanent visa has been granted or rejected
 Permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801) / Partner (Migrant) Visa (subclass 100)
 Validate permanently

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.